Monday 17 December 2012

The End of an Era...

Gaby and Emersyn having their first cuddle in Cowlishaw Street
20th June, 2010.
Yesterday was the end of the era for myself & the girls - we moved out of the Cowlishaw Street house which has been home to us since August 21, 2008.  We are now living with my parents - I guess you could refer to it as a pseudo-halfway house for us, as we are living here before we leave for Wanganui on January 6th.

MANY milestone type events have happened while I have lived in the Cowlishaw Street house...
  • my heart was broken for the first time
  • Emersyn was conceived
  • there was a huge earthquake
  • I brought baby Emersyn home from the hospital
  • there was an enormous earthquake 
  • my gorgeous niece was born
  • Emersyn turned 1
  • Emersyn and Gaby both experienced their first big snow
  • Gaby turned 5 & became a big school girl
  • I fell in love

Surveying a little
earthquake damage

When I look at the list that way, it seems very apt that when I moved into Cowlishaw Street I was soon experiencing heartbreak for the first time - but upon leaving, I am right in the midst of experiencing the most amazing, intense, wonderful, mindblowing love... It's amazing how things change and develop... but when I look back on it, my time in Cowlishaw was full of development... my own personal development as a person & mother, the development of my own little familiy unit, and the development of my children. I also firmly believe that everything that happened in Cowlishaw Street (as with most of my adult life) led to me meeting the love of my life - and yes, that could more be me trying to look on the positive side of the few shitty things that did happen while I lived in Cowlishaw Street, but I know it's not...

One of the many happy family moments
Who would have thought a year ago when Lauriel and I were excited about her little trip down after Christmas, that in a years time we would be even more excited about the fact she was coming down again - and that I would be going back up with her, to live.  To merge our families.  To get married.  To start our forever.  Come think of it, a year ago we were bemoaning the fact we felt as if we were going to be single forever, destined (I won't say doomed, because that isn't accurate) to life as a single parent, with some Grandkids running around eventually.  Neither of us ever imagined that our lives could infact be the total opposite, that we'd meet someone amazing who wanted to spend the rest of their lives with us & our kids.  We never for one second entertained the thought that for each other we would be THAT person.


Mummy & Emmy hijinx
Mummy & Gaby lovin'
If houses had the capacity to think, or to be aware of what goes on between its floor and roof, I would like to think that my house would think it was quite awesome that a big out of the blue love story had played out inside it.  The last year of my life in Cowlishaw Street was the most amazing year of my life, and I think that it's a very happy, positive way to end a variety of eras - the end of MY era in Cowlishaw, the end of mine & Lauriel's single parenting era, but also the end of the 15B Cowlishaw Street era.  I have NO idea when 'my' house will be getting demolished, but feel quite honoured that MY great love story is the last of any story to be experienced and lived, in that house.


1 comment: